Formal Definition of the Term "Form"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46150] Formal Definition of the Term "Form"
  • From: Harold.Noffke at wpafb.af.mil (Harold Noffke)
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 23:36:05 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

MathGroup:

In methodically reviewing everything I've read in the Mathematica
Book, I realized an important undefined term first makes its
appearance in "1.4.7 Picking Out Pieces of Algebraic Expressions".
Definitions are there for Coefficient[expr,form] and
Exponent[expr,form].  The term "expr" has been previously discussed,
but the term "form" starts to be used at this point without any prior
definition I can find.

Does Mathematica have a formal definition for "form"?  Where may I
find it?

Thanks.
Harold