Fw: Re: oo system for Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46295] Fw: [mg46249] Re: [mg46223] oo system for Mathematica
  • From: schmitther at t-online.de (Hermann Schmitt)
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:57:01 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello Richard,
first, it must be unterstood, that oo has to be  compared with Mathematica
packages not with application programs, a fact, that is often misunderstood.
With oo you use classes as you use packages in procedural programming.
Oo has primarily to do with the organization of the code. Many think, that
you get better and a more understandable organization of the code with oo
than with procedural programming.
The use of oo offers features not present with procedural programming:
- you can create objects, which may be stored on external media and accessed
later on in other programs.
- oo has an explicit feature for the support of code reuse: inheritance.
- in the special case of my system, oo makes record definitions possible,
even with arrays.
Hermann Schmitt