Re: Mathematica exports curves in pieces to Illustrator

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45432] Re: Mathematica exports curves in pieces to Illustrator
  • From: AES/newspost <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 01:09:41 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <btb8u9$jq5$1 at smc.vnet.net>, "Bo Le" <bole79 at email.si>
wrote:

> > First paragraph may be correct -- but (I suspect) only because, for
> > whatever reason, "that's the way Mathematica does it".  I'm skeptical
> > that Mathematica *has* to do it that way -- that is, has to break a
> > single curve into some number of smaller sub-segments -- for any major
> > technical reason; and it would be nicer if it didn't do it that way.
>

> I don't see any other, better way,
> how Mathematica would handle this in EPS.
>

> Borut

Plot some simple curve, like e.g. a gaussian; export as EPS; open in
Illustrator; click on the curve with the "group select" tool (or
whatever it's called -- the arrow pointer with a "+" sign on it).

Typically you'll find you've selected a bunch of points, joined by
lines, that form only **part** of the curve.  The remainder of the curve
is an additional set of points joined by lines.  These two separate
segments are separate objects in the EPS and Illustrator file.  You can
give 'em different colors, or line weights in Illustrator.

The question is:  why can't, or don't, they come out of Mathematica as
**one** object? -- One set of points forming one Line[{}] in Mathematica
notation?