Re: Re: Re: Re: typesetting fractions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45726] Re: [mg45697] Re: [mg45644] Re: [mg45590] Re: [mg45555] typesetting fractions
  • From: Selwyn Hollis <sh2.7183 at misspelled.erthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 03:37:28 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Jan 20, 2004, at 5:08 AM, John Fultz wrote:

> I didn't reply to this thread earlier because I figured one of the
> usual
> experts would pick it up and run with it, but it appears not.  By
> reading
> Selwyn's answer, I think he knows how to do this but decided to vent
> about
> the method rather than explain it.

What, me vent? I could show you venting, but I won't.

The real issue here is why this design flaw has persisted from version
3.0 to version 5.0. It is clearly an example of sheer corner-cutting.
There is no typographical rationale whatsoever for treating numerators
and denominators of fractions the same way as subscripts and
superscripts.

For example, what if I want to have ScriptSizeMultipliers->1 in a
fraction that contains subexpressions with superscripts? Then the
superscripts are the same size as the bases to which they are attached,
and the whole thing looks silly -- thus I have go in and do a lot of
meticulous tweaking.

Again, I could be missing something and have wasted countless hours in
trying to make many hundreds of pages worthy of publication. But maybe
it's my own fault for dreaming that I could approach TeX-like quality
with Mathematica.

-----
Selwyn Hollis
http://www.math.armstrong.edu/faculty/hollis