Noisy data and ListConvolve

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45857] Noisy data and ListConvolve
  • From: Yasvir Tesiram <tesiramy at omrf.ouhsc.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 04:51:12 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi all,
I recently wanted to smooth out some noisy data and compare it with a
fitting procedure. My enquires led me to ListConvolve. Going through the
examples provided in the help files, some questions arose which I hope
someone will be able to answer for me or point me to some book or
something that goes through this type of analysis.

1. How does one choose an appropriate kernel?
2. I want the same number of data points as my original set of points.
Yet, despite the documentation, even the example returns a list which is
shorter than the original data set. How do you control this?
3. The plot in the example looks great compared with the noisy generated
data, but the spread of y-values after ListConvolve is applied is
completely different.

Does anyone use ListConvolve regularly for smoothing data. If so, your
help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Yas