RE: ploting in high dimensions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg49223] RE: [mg49206] ploting in high dimensions
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 02:50:58 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Sean,

I doubt if the 10 spoke system will work well. If you wanted to plot only a
few of points you could draw dotten lines from the points to the spokes,
which would really be serving as scales. But there would probably be better
ways for that, such as a table.

Everything depends crucially on the actual data or function you are trying
to represent. What aspect of the data are you trying to convey to the user?
Maybe the data can be transformed and a lower dimensional slice would show
the important relation. You could also use a graphic array and show 2 or 3
dimensions (or 4 with animation) in each plot.

I don't think there is a good general way to plot 10 dimensional information
(like a Plot10D command), but if there is something interesting about a
particular set of data then I'm sure there is a way to tease it out and
represent it graphically.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: sean kim [mailto:sean_incali at yahoo.com]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Hello group,

I was wondering...

let's say you have a 10 variable system.

now i want to define the 10 axes for the variable like a spokes of bicycle
wheel.

so you get 10 spokes emamanting out from the origin equally spaced.

now plot the 10 variable on that space.

is that doable or am i being too hopeful?

If you Have to do something like this what would you all do?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or insights.

Sean