Re: ploting in high dimensions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg49212] Re: [mg49206] ploting in high dimensions
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 02:50:45 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 7 Jul 2004, at 14:42, sean kim wrote:

> *This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(tm)
> Pro*
>
> Hello group,
>
> I was wondering...
>
> let's say you have a 10 variable system.
>
> now i want to define the 10 axes for the variable like a spokes of
> bicycle wheel.
>
> so you get 10 spokes emamanting out from the origin equally spaced.
>
> now plot the 10 variable on that space.
>
> is that doable or am i being too hopeful?
>
> If you Have to do something like this what would you all do?
>
> Thanks in advance for any thoughts or insights.
>
> Sean

In principle this can be done but to what purpose? You would get a
phenomenally misleading picture, no better than projecting three
dimensional solid onto a line.  There would all sorts of horrible
intersections and singularities even in a representation of a smooth
manifold. In my opinion this would be far worse than not having any
picture at all. Actually, in some situations it is helpful to represent
a number of parameters as one on a single axis, but you need a good
insight into the situation to decide when this will be useful and which
parameters should be groped together. But any such thing has to be very
much tailored to a specific problem.

Andrzej Kozlowski