Re: Combining 2D graphs into a 3D graph

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg49413] Re: Combining 2D graphs into a 3D graph
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 08:09:22 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 7/17/04 at 6:40 AM, suomesta at yahoo.com (Carol Ting) wrote:

>I have many curves in the 2D space, each associated with a specific
>value of parameter n.  (These curves are determined with a somewhat
>complicated process depending on the value of n, so I cannot just
>use one bivariate function to describe this family of curves.)

>Can anyone tell me how to plot these curves in a 3D plot, while
>adding n as the second axis?

>For example, how can I make Mathematica plot the following lines in
>a 3D plot?

>n=1, l1 = Line[{{2, 7}, {3, 9}}]
>n=2, l2 = Line[{{2, 6}, {3, 8}}]

Try the following:

s = {{2, 7, 1}, {3, 9, 1}};
m = {{2, 6, 2}, {3, 8, 2}};

<< "Graphics`Graphics3D`"

a = ScatterPlot3D[s, PlotJoined -> True, PlotStyle -> Hue[0],
    DisplayFunction -> Identity];
b = ScatterPlot3D[m, PlotJoined -> True, PlotStyle -> Hue[0.6],
    DisplayFunction ->  Identity];

Show[a, b, DisplayFunction -> $DisplayFunction];