Functions of Functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg49598] Functions of Functions
  • From: mjperson at mit.edu (Michael J Person)
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 03:47:29 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

	I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.

	I've gone through the book and help files as best I can, but
	can't seem to figure out why the following doesn't work:

	I'm trying to work with functions that take functions
        as parameters and return other functions.

        Below is an example...

(*clear stuff*)
Clear[a, b, c, x]

(*Define a functions a*)
\!\(a[x_] := \((Sin[x] + x\^3\/2)\)\)

(*define a function of functions*)
\!\(b[f_] = \((f'' + \(3\ f'\)\/2 + 5  f)\)\)

(*apply the functional function to a*)
c = b[a]

(*Try to apply the resulting function to something*)
c[x]

This last step never gives me the results I'd expect by applying
the derivatives of a to x...

Can anyone tell me where I've gone horribly wrong?

Thanks much,

MJ Person
mjperson at mit.edu