Custom Points (filled circles, etc) for Plots and ListPlots (summary)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg49595] Custom Points (filled circles, etc) for Plots and ListPlots (summary)
  • From: AES/newspost <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 03:47:25 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Some weeks back I posted a query about generating custom symbols, such
as filled or opaque circles, for Plots and ListPlots.  The following is
a summary of replies I received, and the solution I elected to go with.

1)  The solution I elected to pursue, as suggested by "Yas" and Bob
Hanlon, is illustrated by the following example:

        Needs["Graphics`Colors`"];

        dataPoints=Table[{Random[Real,{-1,1}],Random[Real,{-5,5}]},{10}];

        ListPlot[dataPoints,
                PlotJoined->True,
                PlotRange->{{-1,1},{-5,5}},
                ImageSize->5*72,
        Epilog->{
            White, Disk[#,Scaled[0.01{1, GoldenRatio}]]&/@dataPoints,
            Red, AbsoluteThickness[3],
            Circle[#, Scaled[0.01{1, GoldenRatio}]]&/@dataPoints}];

Notes:

*  Doing it this way, with the Disk before the Circle, creates a Circle
with a red rim and a white fill, and doing this in an Epilog puts this
white-filled circle over each data point, hiding the lines beneath the
circle (if that's the way you want it).  Converting the Epilog to a
Prolog draws the circles before the lines, so that the lines then
overwrite the circles.

*  If I used a custom AspectRatio, I'd presumably have to substitute
that for the GoldenRatio.

*  I went with this particular approach because it seems (to me, anyway)
straightforward and readable; uses only standard Mathematica syntax and
resources; and seems to produce straightforward and editable results
when exported as EPS and edited in Illustrator.

2)  "Jens" suggested using the Mathematica \[FilledCircle] symbol, but
(a) I'm don't see how it differs from just a Point or Disk, i.e., I
don't see how to adjust fill and rim color separately; and (b) I'm not
sure (though I didn't test) whether it will produce editable EPS when
Exported.

3)  Hartmut Wolf wrote detailed suggestions on using the SymbolShape and
other capabilities in the MultipleListPlot package (and thanks much for
the information).  This is clearly a broader and more powerful approach,
with more capability for expansion; but also more than I needed, or
wanted to try to absorb, for my limited needs.

4)  David Park suggested that nice-looking points could be made using
the  CirclePoint[location, absolutesize, rimcolor, diskcolor] capability
from his (?) DrawGraphics package, which I suspect would indeed be very
good for this and other purposes, but I preferred to stay within
"native" Mathematica as above.

Thanks to all, and I hope I've not misrepresented anything here.