Basic conditional statement question.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48653] Basic conditional statement question.
  • From: jujio77 at yahoo.com (Scott)
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 04:17:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Here is a question I would think has a simple solution.  Let's say I
have some variable "a" which is an integer, but I haven't defined it
in Mathematica.  I want to run a conditional statement on it.
Basically

If[a!=0,Print["such and such"]]

When I do something like this, Mathematica I asume is spitting out a
null statement, because it doesn't do anything.  So, how can I define
"a" such that Mathematica knows it isn't =0 yet, still some integer.

The reason I ask is I am calculating Christophel symbols (and such)
and many of them =0, so I want to only output those that are not equal
to zero.

Thanks for any help,
Scott