RE: Re: Manipulating the Front End

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47061] RE: [mg47045] Re: Manipulating the Front End
  • From: JonasB at iui.se
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:39:18 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The Help Browser documents some commands in the *.tr files, but not all. It
does not document the *.tr files (with load order etc). With better
documentation, perhaps one could improve Mathematica's rather crappy support
keyboard shortcuts with non-US keyboards.

Customization does not seem all that hard. Just by guessing, I have managed
to add a couple of keyboard shortcuts I find very useful. By adding the
following lines to KeyEventTranslations.tr, Ctrl-[ inserts matching []
around text, and Ctrl-] inserts matching {}.

	Item[KeyEvent["[", Modifiers -> {Control}],
		FrontEndExecute[{
			FrontEnd`NotebookApply[SelectedNotebook[],
"[\[SelectionPlaceholder]]", Placeholder]
		}]],
	Item[KeyEvent["]", Modifiers -> {Control}],
		FrontEndExecute[{
			FrontEnd`NotebookApply[SelectedNotebook[],
"{\[SelectionPlaceholder]}", Placeholder]
		}]],

Matching braces is a fundamental problem in all programming.:-)

Jonas