Re: How to Plot this equation ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47121] Re: How to Plot this equation ?
  • From: drbob at bigfoot.com (Bobby R. Treat)
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 03:56:23 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Solving for y doesn't work, but we can solve for x and transpose the
resulting graph. x in terms of y involves ProductLog, which has a
discontinuity at -1/E, so I locate the y values that get us to that
value, then restrict the function to keep it "real". After drawing x
as a function of y, I reverse points in the Line directive to
transpose the graph.

eqn = x*Exp[x*y + 0.8] + Exp[y^2] == 3;
Off[InverseFunction::ifun, Solve::ifun]
inverse[y_] = x /. First[Solve[eqn, x]]
yLimits = (y /. FindRoot[Cases[inverse[y], ProductLog[a_] :> a == -1/
invPlot = Plot[inverse[y], Evaluate[{y, Sequence @@ yLimits}]];
Show[invPlot /. Line[a_] :> Line[Reverse /@ a]];

(1/y)*ProductLog[
   9.080790118821775*^-9*