Re: understanding Complement

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg47954] Re: understanding Complement
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 04:50:53 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On 4/30/04 at 7:27 PM, edwardoJE at (Edo) wrote:

>Hello love this mathematica, enjoying learning it, here is another
>Q I have. thanks as I learn by reading other people codes. I came
>accorse this Complement[Ceiling[list/delta],{}] I would like to
>understand what this {} do?

{} is an empty list. But the snippet of code you included doesn't make much sense.
I cannot think of any case where Complement[list,{}] doesn't give exactly the same result as Union[list]. And a quick check of Mathematica 5.0 running on MacOS 10.3.3 indicates Union[list] is much faster than Complement[list,{}]