Re: Eigensystem: different solution in V5.0 and V4.1 ??

On 5/23/04 at 6:15 AM, ivo.bleylevens at facburfdaw.unimaas.nl (Ivo
bleylevens) wrote:

>I forgot to say (maybe the most important part of my message) that
>the eigenvalues Mathematica 5.0 calculates, are the correct
>eigenvalues when the notebook is ran at a AMD Athlon 1200 MHz or
>AMD Duron 800 MHz PC and not on a Pentium4 2,6 GHz stand-alone
>machine and a Pentium4 3,06 HT notebook !!

>So: Mathematica 5.0 produces only the right solutions of
>Eigensystem when you don't use a Pentium 4 processor ???

The only way I can see the specific cpu used making a difference is when you are using machine precision numbers and there is a difference between processors with respect to machine precision numbers. This would be most apparent for ill-conditioned systems.