Re: Garbage collection problem

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg51978] Re: Garbage collection problem
  • From: D Herring <dherring at>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 02:07:40 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Yasvir Tesiram wrote:
> G'day,
> On Nov 4, 2004, at 12:51 AM, D Herring wrote:
>>Does anyone know of an equivalent for "ls -l" that I could run on
>>Mathematica to track down the memory hog?  I tried several things, but
>>it looks like this memory is out of my reach.
> What platform are you on?  If it is Mac, Linux, Solaris etc, open a
> terminal and run "top" instead of ls -l. Maybe this'll help you
> pinpoint your woes. There must be something equivalent for Windows.
> Cheers
> Yas

Hi Yas,

I'm running Linux.  Yes, I've been running top (and free) on the command
line to monitor memory usage with the OS.  I was just looking for
something I could run *inside* Mathematica to see *where* in Mathematica
my memory was going.

I know Mathematica is bleeding memory.  I was trying to figure out how
to staunch the flow.

Thanks for your time,