Re: List element replacement.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52011] Re: [mg51980] List element replacement.
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 01:03:28 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Are the three lists the same Length? If that should be the case, e.g.,

In[1]:=
initial = {0, 3, 4, 6, 8};
compare = {0, 0, 0, 3, 8};
replace = {0, 0, 0, 1, 7};

then the test whether "initial" has to change is based on MemberQ. All three
elements of the test are True, and only in this case the replacements apply:

In[4]:=
(MemberQ[initial, #1] & ) /@ Union[compare]
Out[4]=
{True,True,True}

The positions of the elements to be replaced in this case are

In[5]:=
replacements = Flatten[(Position[initial, #1] & ) /@
    Union[compare]]
Out[5]=
{1,2,5}

So, in general, the procedure is as follows

In[6]:=
If[Union[(MemberQ[initial, #1] & ) /@
       Union[compare]][[1]] == True,
   initial[[replacements]] = replace[[