Re: List element replacement.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52022] Re: [mg51980] List element replacement.
  • From: DrBob <drbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 01:04:06 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Does this do the trick? (My testing wasn't extensive.)

ClearAll@removeAndReplace
removeAndReplace::usage = "
removeAndReplace[a,b,c] checks whether List a is
     contained in List b (counting multiplicities). If no, b is returned. If \
yes, the return value is b with the elements of a removed and the elements of \
c added (counting multiplicities and sorted)."
removeAndReplace[a_List, b_List, c_List] := Block[{aFreq, bFreq, f, pos},
     Which[
       Length@a > Length@b, b,
       Length@(aFreq = Frequencies@a) > Length@(bFreq = Frequencies@b), b,
       f[{n_, x_}] := ((pos = Position[bFreq[[All, 2]],
       x]) === {} || (n > Extract[bFreq, {pos[[1, 1]], 1}])) && Throw[False];
       Catch[Scan[f, aFreq]; Throw@True],
       f[lst_, {n_, x_}] := DeleteCases[lst, x, {1}, n];
       Sort@Fold[f, Join[b, c], aFreq],
       True, b]
     ]

This could be useful without the Sort, so I'd probably omit it and enter Sort@removeAndReplace[a,b,c], if I needed a sorted result.

In that case, when it removes elements, it removes them starting at the front of Join[b,c].

Bobby

DrBob at bigfoot.com
www.eclecticdreams.net