Recursion Limit & Symbolic Differentiation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52258] Recursion Limit & Symbolic Differentiation
  • From: erinbaily at mac.com (Erin)
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 01:44:58 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I'm new to Mathemtica and I'm trying to differentiate a multi-variable
function
f(x,y,z). When doing so I get a recusion limit 256 reached message.

When examining my equations, I don't see recursion in the expressions.
It should be simple substitution of one expression into the other.
(Its just easier for me to write it that way).

How do I know if this is a valid message, and how do I know if my
expressions will actually be solved / simplified by Mathematica if I
increase the recursion limit?

I have 2GB RAM and Mathematica fills it, then the Kernel runs out of
memory and stops trying to solve the problem.

Thanks.