Use of large memory

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg50412] Use of large memory
  • From: Gerry Flanagan <flanagan at materials-sciences.com>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 04:34:47 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I was running into memory limits for a large numerical problem in V5.0. The
fastest fix (I thought) was to get a large amount of RAM. We purchased a
Pentium 4 machine running XP, with 4GB of memory. I built a test function
that progressively uses more memory and prints MemoryUsed[]. Every time I
get to just under 2GB of memory, I get the out-of-memory error from the
kernal. There's nothing else running, and task manager says there's plenty
left. Has anyone found some Windows XP tweak that allows Mathematica to use
what's available? Would this all work better in Linux?

Gerry Flanagan