From: W Randolph Franklin [mailto:math at wrfranklinNOSPAM.org]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
Subject: [mg50539] [mg50126] problem with ExpectedValue[xx-x,
PoissonDistribution[m],x]

(This is a repeat of my posting of Aug 5, since there were no replies,
and I am still interested in the answer.)

Why can Mathematica not evaluate

ExpectedValue[x x  -  x, PoissonDistribution[m], x]

?

It can correctly evaluate all the following:

ExpectedValue[x x , PoissonDistribution[m], x]
ExpectedValue[x  , PoissonDistribution[m], x]
ExpectedValue[x  x  + x , PoissonDistribution[m], x] ExpectedValue[x  x
+ a x , PoissonDistribution[m], x]

Is it anticipating to think that I've found a Mathematica bug, in my
first hour of using Mathematica?  (If so, that's rather good for me and
new SW packages).

Thanks.

remove the NOSPAM to reply