Re: Integratecrashes kernel

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg50768] Re: Integratecrashes kernel
  • From: "David W. Cantrell" <DWCantrell at>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:39:24 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at> wrote:
> On 9/18/04 at 5:48 AM, math5bug at (B. Oudoli) wrote:
> >However, Integrate[x Cos[1. x], x]
> >crashes the kernel, and it's impossible to abort or interrupt the
> >calculation, which lasts forever.

> In this specific case
> Integrate[x Cos[a x],x]
> seems to work fine. So, you could do
> Integrate[x Cos[a x],x]/.a->1

Yes, it works fine in all but the a=0 case. Since 1. is clearly not close
to 0, I doubt that the comment below is related to the bug mentioned above,
but I hope it might be of some interest nonetheless.

The antiderivative given is Cos[a x]/a^2 + x Sin[a x]/a. Not only does this
misbehave _at_ a=0, it also misbehaves as a _approaches_ 0. But in fact an
antiderivative can be given which is correct for all nonzero a and which
also behaves as we would like in the limit as a->0:

  (Cos[a x] - 1)/a^2 + x Sin[a x]/a

Of course, the difference between this antiderivative and the one given by
Mathematica is only a constant (with respect to x). But as a->0, its limit
is x^2/2, as it should be.

David Cantrell