Re: Re: Forcing a Derivative

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg50792] Re: [mg50765] Re: [mg50753] Forcing a Derivative
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 03:49:15 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

So really the questions is:  WHY doesn't -- or, perhaps, why shouldn't
-- Mathematica understand such things as (f g)'?  Or (f + g)' ,etc.???

Is there something in the language design that would prevent a meaning
(the conventional one!) being assigned?  Or is it just that this hasn't
been implemented.

I note that I have persistently found this a frustrating limitation of
the language when I have used it for teaching.  One of the more
difficult things to teach is the concept of a function as itself an
object that can be manipulated.  It would be awfully nice if Mathematica
allowed that to be so.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305