Re: Simple questions with Complex Numbers
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg50902] Re: Simple questions with Complex Numbers
- From: Karl_boehme_9 at msn.com (Klaus G)
- Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 00:42:08 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
"Sunil Pinnamaneni" <pinnama at cims.nyu.edu> wrote in message news:<cj322j$542$1 at smc.vnet.net>... > I'm having difficulty getting mathematica to do simplifications with Complex > Numbers. For instance, > > z = s+ I t; > zbar = s- I t; > FullSimplify[Re[1/(z zbar)]] > yields > Re[1/(s^2 +t^2)] > Is there any way to get Mathematica to yield the result 1/(s^2 +t^2) without > the Re? It seems like Mathematica should have been programmed to do easy > simplifications using Complex Numbers. > [...] > Thanks, > Sunil ??? z = s + I t; zbar = s - I t; Simplify[1/(z zbar)] yields 1/(s^2 + t^2) Klaus G.