Re: file corrupted

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55714] Re: file corrupted
  • From: Helen Read <hpr at together.net>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 00:59:19 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

reiro wrote:
> Something happened to my computer when I was using mathematica. The info
> box informed me to open the corrupted file with open special without
> cache. I opened it and got the following:
>
> (***********************************************************************
>
>                      Mathematica-Compatible Notebook
>
> This notebook can be used on any computer system with Mathematica 4.0,
> MathReader 4.0, or any compatible application. The data for the notebook
> starts with the line containing stars above.

[...]

> and so on.
>
> I did what they told and saved the file as notebook. When I clicked
> evaluate it shown some errors. What can I do to make it work

I have never been able to fix a corrupted notebook. Notebooks get
corrupted a lot less frequently in newer versions of Mathematica than
they used to, but my students still sometimes manage to corrupt a
notebook. Sometimes it's possible to copy/paste the un-corrupted parts
from the bad notebook into a new one, or delete the corrupted stuff in
the bad notebook itself. Otherwise, just start over.

It would be nice if this didn't happen at all. I've never seen anything
remotely like the "corrupt notebook" situation with any other piece of
software that I use.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont