Re: Recommendations for a programming book?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55778] Re: Recommendations for a programming book?
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 03:11:07 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I remember when I first obtained Mathematica, how impressed I was with
Stephen's book. I think the examples are particularly well chosen - not
too simple as to fail to illustrate what a command does, but not so
complicated that you have to work hard to understand them.

Because the book with the software is so good, it does seem hard to beat
it! I have yet to read Michael Trott's book, and what you say is
interesting. I wonder if anyone else can offer an opinion.

As regards such things as checking that a function does not
inadvertently access global variables, I think this is something for a
piece of checking software to enforce - it is not so much a lack of
knowledge, but a mistake that you are trying to eliminate.

David Bailey
dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk