Re: Format[ ] with \[OverBracket] in a package `Private` context

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg56508] Re: Format[ ] with \[OverBracket] in a package `Private` context
  • From: Maxim <ab_def at prontomail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:54:05 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 06:01:40 +0000 (UTC), Maxim <ab_def at prontomail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> something else entirely?
>>
>> (i strongly prefer solution 1 (using the System` context) because it
>> seems bizarre to me that the OverBracket symbol doesn't already exist
>> in the System` context, so why not remedy the situation? on the other
>> hand, i could be convinced that messing with the System` context is as
>> bad an idea as messing with most reserved namespaces, hence solution 2.
>> but what i don't like about solution 2 is that after loading the
>> package, Names["Foo`*"] will give you both "foo" (which is good) and
>> "\[OverBracket]" (which just seems wrong)).
>>
>> anything to help make the decision or clean this up?
>>

>> trevor.
>>

> It seems that symbols such as \[OverBracket] are created when they're
> used
> for the first time, and they obey the usual rules: first search the
> current context and $ContextPath for that symbol, and if it is not found,
> create it in the current context. Therefore, they always have the full
> name such as Global`\[OverBracket], but if their context is in the
> $ContextPath or is the same as the current context, then the context
> prefix is not shown. That is what happens in your examples: if you put
> the
> symbol in System` or in Foo`, then the context name is omitted, but
> Foo`Private`\[OverBracket] can be accessed only by its full name.
>
> You are correct that the simplest way seems to be just to put
> \[OverBracket] in the System` context by evaluating
> (System`\[OverBracket];) once, after which you can reference
> \[OverBracket] by the short name -- it will automatically be found in the
> System` context, which is still in $ContextPath within
> BeginPackage/EndPackage. Alternatively, you could reference the symbol as
> Global`\[OverBracket] every time it is used inside the package.
>
> A subtle point is that if you enter f + Ctrl-^ + Escape + ' + Escape to
> enter f' (with the \[Prime] symbol as Superscript) and evaluate it, the
> expression will be interpreted as Derivative[1][f] and the symbol
> Global`\[Prime] won't be created, but if you just evaluate Escape + `
> + Escape, then the symbol will be created. I'm not sure how to state this
> rule in an exact way, but in any case it doesn't affect your case.
>
> Also I can't understand why with the definition
>
> Format[foo[l_List]] := Overscript[RowBox[l], \[OverBracket]] //
>    DisplayForm
>
> foo[Table[i, {i, 3}]] and foo[Range[3]] are displayed differently -- in
> the second case the output will contain an explicit RowBox.
>
> Here's another way to define the same formatting rule:
>
> MakeBoxes[foo[L_List], form_] :=
>    OverscriptBox[
>      RowBox[
>        Function[b, MakeBoxes[b, form], HoldFirst] /@
>          Unevaluated@ L],
>      \[OverBracket]]
>
> This will correctly display expressions such as
>
> foo[{EllipticE[0], EllipticE[1]}] // TraditionalForm // HoldForm.

Actually, there is a simpler way: use quotes. No need to introduce the
symbol \[OverBracket] at all, the argument of OverscriptBox should be
"\[OverBracket]". It occured to me when I was considering how to write a
reverse MakeExpression rule:

MakeBoxes[foo[L_List], form_] :=
   OverscriptBox[
     GridBox[
       {Function[b, MakeBoxes[b, form], HoldFirst] /@
          Unevaluated@ L}],
     "\[OverBracket]"]

MakeExpression[OverscriptBox[b_GridBox /; Length@ b[[1]] == 1,
     "\[OverBracket]"], form_] :=
   MakeExpression[
     RowBox[{"foo", "[",
         RowBox[{"{",
             RowBox[Drop[Flatten[#, 1], -1]&@ Transpose@
                     {b[[1, 1]],
                      Table[",", {Length@ b[[1, 1]]}]}
                   ],
             "}"}],
         "]"}],
     form]

Now if you enter several expressions separated by  Ctrl-comma (matrix-like
notation) and put \[OverBracket] over them, the input will be interpreted
as foo[{...}], which can be seen by doing FullForm. GridBox is preferable
because this way we keep the ability to enter multiplication as space.

Maxim Rytin
m.r at inbox.ru