Re: Slow performance on OS X?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg56616] Re: Slow performance on OS X?
- From: Kenneth Bowman <k-bowman at null.tamu.edu>
- Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 01:27:32 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: Texas A&M University
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
In article <d4so1c$abo$1 at smc.vnet.net>, "ragfield" <ragfield at gmail.com> wrote: > > 2.5 GHz, dual-processor G5 with 2 GB of RAM and OS X 10.3.9 > > I have the exact same machine you describe and I have never seen > problems like this (at least 5.0 & 5.1, I don't have 4.1.5 or 4.2 > handy). Try quitting & moving your ~/Library/Mathematica folder to > your desktop to see if the problem still happens. Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't help. > Look at the CPU usage with the 'top' command or > /Applications/Utilities/ActivityMonitor.app. Does Mathematica use > excessive amounts of CPU time? No. CPU usage remains minimal. It takes 45-60 seconds for Mathematica to start, during which time Activity Monitor frequently shows the process as "hung". Opening a short, 3-line Mathematica file takes about 20 seconds. This is on a nearly new system. I don't have slow-downs with any other apps. Ken Bowman