Re: is this solvable?

I don't know if you have enough equations. See this example on SOS math:

http://www.sosmath.com/diffeq/system/linear/eigenvalue/eigenvalue.html

It seems like you know something about the addition of the two
derivatives, but given a point in {a, b} space... you wouldn't have
enough information to calculate the "velocity" of your solution's
"point" in time t.

That's just my guess.

--
Chris Chiasson