Re: Question about vector analysis in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59915] Re: [mg59854] Question about vector analysis in Mathematica
  • From: "benshimo at bgumail.bgu.ac.il" <bsyehuda at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 06:34:05 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,
First, I'm sure you have a typo, since
CrossProduct[{1,0,0},{1,0,0}]
returns
{0,0,0}
as expected (cross prosuct between any two parallel vectors is 0, isn't
it?).
Second, you wanted to test
CrossProduct[{0,0,1},{1,0,0}, Cylindrical] (say a cross product between a
unit verctor in the z direction to a unit vector in the radial direction,
actually with angle 0, so it is a unit vector in the positive x direction).
So you shouldn;t be embarrased that Mathematica returns the correct result,
that is, a unit vector in the positive y direction (angle Pi/2 and a unit
magnitude).
remember, a unit vector in the angular dimension is not a really a vector.
good luck
yehuda