Access control on webMathematica

I want to restrict access to webMathematica (2.1) on a Sun running
Solaris 10, Mathematica (5.2), Apache (2.0.52) and Tomcat (5.5.12).

Apache has access controls (various forms of authentication) so I think
if I start Tomcat from Apache, I can control access to webMathematica.

The problem is I don't know how to start Tomcat from Apache and even if
I did, I have not found enough information to describe how to proceed
from there.

The Tomcat distribution, which I downloaded from the site suggested in
the webMathematica documentation

http://jakarta.apache.org/

has no tomcat.conf file, yet the Apache configuration file (httpd.conf)
has a line (that is commented out) that includes tomcat.conf

Any pointers appreciated.
--
Dave K