Re: Re: Re: Types in Mathematica

Such a hot topic here.

But what does "type" mean on earth?

I define an integer "i". Then I do some arithmetic with it. Here,
"i"'s type is "integer".

In a programming language (like C), I write:
int i;  i = 1234;

As the programmer, I do not care how the language implements
"integer". It can use a register, or several bytes in memory (the
ASCII code of "1234", or in Binray Code Decimal) to represent it.

Let me guess, "types" should be considered in two layers: abstract
layer and phsical layer.

An integer "i" on abstract layer can be represented as an integer in
tradition meaning or something else as you like on phyiscal layer.

When I got a string "1234" on phsical layer, I can "abstract" it to an
integer 1234. This is the mapping of types between the two layers.

Turn to Mathematica, I define a symbol "a", it is completely a
"symbol", it can be anything. This may be a try of Mathematica to
represent things on the abstract layer.

--
Li Zhengji
If all you have is a hammer, everything is a nail.