PrimePi question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53971] PrimePi question
  • From: fartous at mail15.com
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 03:16:55 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

we know that to approximate the number of primes less than number n we have many
approximate methods such as the old one n/ln(n)
but there are no exact solution, however the PrimePi function are giving exact
answer in a reasonable time, i have found in my celeron 2GHz that the number of
primes less than a One Tera:
In:= Timing[PrimePi[1000000000000]]
Out= {8.84 Seconds, 37607912018}

Does wolfram have a top secret formula ?? or it is a recent formula discovery.
jack