Probable answer to a mystery

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54091] Probable answer to a mystery
  • From: Steve Gray <stevebg at adelphia.net>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 02:46:37 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I complained about psuedo-spaces appearing in the middle of function
names and causing various malfunctions. For clarity I had highlighted
these names in yellow where they are defined and in green where they
are used. This lets me quickly see all the defs and calls without doing
searches.

I think the problem that caused the psuedo-spaces to appear is that
occasionally my highlighting "stroke" accidentally did not cover
the full name, so  I would highlight the last character or two
separately. Examination of the actual plaintext showed that a color
callout appeared twice in the name, once for each highlighting stroke.

Where I have seen a problem, I have erased the highlighting and redone it
in one stroke. I think this will fix it. It's a bug in Mathematica, I would say,
but one that can be gotten around. If this is correct, it will remove
a  major nuisance.

Steve Gray