Re: Probable answer to a mystery

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54213] Re: Probable answer to a mystery
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:17:01 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Steve Gray wrote:
> I complained about psuedo-spaces appearing in the middle of function
> names and causing various malfunctions. For clarity I had highlighted
> these names in yellow where they are defined and in green where they
> are used. This lets me quickly see all the defs and calls without doing
> searches.
>
> I think the problem that caused the psuedo-spaces to appear is that
> occasionally my highlighting "stroke" accidentally did not cover
> the full name, so  I would highlight the last character or two
> separately. Examination of the actual plaintext showed that a color
> callout appeared twice in the name, once for each highlighting stroke.
>
> Where I have seen a problem, I have erased the highlighting and redone it
> in one stroke. I think this will fix it. It's a bug in Mathematica, I would say,
> but one that can be gotten around. If this is correct, it will remove
> a  major nuisance.
>
> Steve Gray

I think whatever you do, if you colour code, you have to be prepared for
the odd glitch when you edit it - there just seem to be some bugs in
that area that WRI have become so attached to that they don't want to
fix them! Coloured comments seem particularly error prone. I think part
of the problem is that it is impossible to reproduce these problems and
send in a bug report! It would help a lot if you could press a button
and save a log of all the keystroke and mouse information in some format
that would let WRI play it back and capture the problem.

I do my colouring by program. I suggest you write a program that reads a
selected cell, removes any existing colouring, figures out which
functions are being defined, and applies the colouring exactly as you
want it.

David Bailey
dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk