Re: Memory Leak in Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54548] Re: [mg54338] Memory Leak in Mathematica?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 04:25:34 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Do you know that SetDirectory[] uses a stack which can be popped by using
ResetDirectory[]?

It would take a truly stunning amount of calls for this to be a real
problem, but perhaps that's exactly what's going on in your case when, as
you say, the number of files is large.  If so, then the problem is easy to
fix.  Change your code from...

SetDirectory[newDirectory];
Export[filename, dataOut, "CSV"];
SetDirectory[oldDirectory];

to....

SetDirectory[newDirectory];
Export[filename, dataOut, "CSV"];
ResetDirectory[];

which would pop the old value off the stack, thereby preventing extra
memory usage.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com