Re: Simplify[expr] bug?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53406] Re: [mg53398] Simplify[expr] bug?
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 01:41:58 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Mathematica syntax demands you use square brackets for denoting the
action of functions on arguments, i.e.
Sin[x] and not Sin(x).

Sin(x) means the product of an expression named Sin and an expression x.

You can use the notation sin(x) if you set your Default Input Format
Type to Traditional Form, but then you should remember to use explicit
space or * for all your products, that is write sin*(x+y)  when you wan
to multiply sin  by (x+y) ;-)

But now I have a question for you. When you posted your message did you
seriously believe that a program could survive for over a decade, sell
for over 1000 dollars and be the market leader in it's category while
not being able to distinguish sin(a) form a*sin ?

Andrzej Kozlowski