Re: Simplify[expr] bug?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53407] Re: [mg53398] Simplify[expr] bug?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 01:42:00 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

NO, it's not a bug!

Before attempting such things, it behooves you to read a couple of pages
of the documentation that accompanies Mathematica.  Just about ANY
source of such documentation would explain that (in the default input
mode for Mathematica expressions), you surround arguments of functions
in [square brackets], whereas (parentheses) are used solely as punctuation.

What you entered means:  Sin * a - Sin * b.  so Mathematica correctly
simplfied that by factoring out the expression Sin.

What presumably you want to enter is:

   Simplify[Sin[a] - Sin[b]]

But since Mathematica knows nothing about a or b, it will return
  Sin[a] - Sin[b] as result.

The same problem is the case with your second alleged bug.

Plesae try not to suggest attributing the term "bug" to Mathematica
behavior you do not yet understand!

Best wishes for getting started productively with Mathematica.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305