- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg53398] Simplify[expr] bug?
- From: Ken Tozier <kentozier at comcast.net>
- Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 23:04:00 -0500 (EST)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
I'm a complete newbie to Mathematica and not a math whiz, but the results I got from the following two equations seems like bugs to me. Test 1: Running: Simplify[Sin(a) - Sin(b)] Yeilds: (a - b)Sin Looks like it's treating the function "Sin" like a coefficient Test 2: Running: Simplify[d/s + Cos(2*¹*v/s) - Cos(2*¹*(v - 1)/s)] Yeilds: (d + 2 Cos ¹) / s Mathematica completely factors out the variable "v" which is critical to the correct solution. Are these bugs or am I making an inadvertent syntax error. Thanks, Ken Tozier