Re: GUIKit: standalone error

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53417] Re: [mg53397] GUIKit: standalone error
  • From: Jeff Adams <jeffa at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 01:30:51 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Jan 9, 2005, at 10:03 PM, Andrew Dabrowski wrote:

> I'm trying to run the example standalone file,
> "GUIKit\Examples\Standalone\Windows\PrimeFinderApplication/bat".  But
> when I
> double click on it I get a "could not find main class" error".  Any
> ideas what
> the problem could be?

Hello,

The standalone application launcher scripts, GUIKitApplication.bat (for
Windows)
and GUIKitApplication.sh (for Unix) are just examples of calling GUIKit
definitions as
standalone applications by calling an installed Java VM (possibly the
one included with Mathematica).

If you look at the contents of GUIKitApplication.bat you will find
that it uses three environment variables to determine the location of
Mathematica, the location of GUIKit,
and the location of your Java VM:  MATH_HOME, GUIKIT_HOME, JAVA_HOME.

You actually would only possibly need to make sure MATH_HOME points to
the installation
of your Mathematica distribution, since the default GUIKIT_HOME and
JAVA_HOME paths
default to paths relative to MATH_HOME. Of course by assigning these
three environment
variables independently you can customize where your installed files
are.

Since you are not finding the main class I think it is not finding
GUIKIT_HOME properly.
Either set the value of MATH_HOME in your user environment to the
location of your installed
Mathematica or modify the default path within GUIKitApplication.bat.

Seeing the full path and arguments to call Java appropriately with the
right classpath in this file
is just one way of launching a Java VM to run a GUIKit definition as a
standalone application. Once you see the list of required Java
classpath files and the option to point to the location of the
Mathematica installation you
can use any other Java launching deployment tool that you may have.

Jeff Adams
Wolfram Research