Mathematica 5.1 JLink problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53505] Mathematica 5.1 JLink problem
  • From: "J. McKenzie Alexander" <jalex at lse.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 01:44:04 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I've recently installed Mathematica 5.1 on a Mac OS X box (running
Panther 10.3.7).  After copying the Mathematica 5.1.app bundle to
/Applications/ as the Administrator, then switching back to my ordinary
user account, I found that JLink could not be started.  Evaluating
(from a fresh kernel session)

	Needs["JLink`"];
	InstallJava[];

Gives, as error messages,

	InstallJava::uifail:
	The separate Java user-interface link could not be established.

	InstallJava::fail:
	A link to the Java runtime could not be established.

However, if I evaluate the above when logged in as Administrator, JLink
starts just fine.  JLink under Mathematica 5.0 (which I still have
installed as well) works just fine from my ordinary user account.

Any guesses as to what might be wrong?

Cheers,

Jason