Re: Looking for Window Version of "Factorization.m" program

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53514] Re: [mg53500] Looking for Window Version of "Factorization.m" program
  • From: DrBob <drbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 01:44:14 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I think it's a version 2.2 problem, not a Mac problem -- but anyway, I can send a version of the package without all the embedded font garbage... unless I accidentally deleted something important!

HOWEVER... you're getting all those error messages because the author apparently forgot to Unprotect a lot of things he needed to unprotect, including ComplexExpand, D, Delete, Cos, Sin, Sec, Csc, Tan, Cot, Makeboxes, et cetera. When you Unprotect and Protect all those things, things MAY begin to work.

HOWEVER... I doubt this is the way to go. Modifying built-ins slows everything down and risks getting into all sorts of trouble--unless the package is really well thought out--and maybe, given the missing Unprotections, it isn't. And besides, this is a very old message, so there's no telling how much of the code should change because of updates. The author may have a newer version somewhere, of course.

SO... could this do what you need?

Random[Integer, 100000]
FactorInteger@%
Times @@ Power @@@ (% /. x_Integer -> HoldForm[x])

or

factorForm[i_Integer] := Times @@ Power @@@
  (FactorInteger@i /. x_Integer -> HoldForm[x])
Array[Random[Integer, 100000] &, {3, 4}]
TableForm[% /. x_Integer -> factorForm@x]

or

TableForm[Array[Random[Integer, 100000] &, {3, 2}]
       /. x_Integer -> x == factorForm@x]

or

TableForm@Array[# == factorForm@# &@Random[Integer, 100000] &, {3, 2}]

Bobby