Re: Mathematica, LabView and I/O devices

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53569] Re: Mathematica, LabView and I/O devices
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 05:08:20 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 1/16/05 at 10:24 PM, tesiramy at omrf.ouhsc.edu (Yasvir Tesiram)
wrote:

>Hi, Anybody out there using Mathematica to collect data from
>digitizers, using either Mathemtica directly, via Labview or other
>I/O programs? Could do with some tips on how to connect a HP ADC or
>a MacLab device via USB to Mathemtica directly on a Unix based
>system.

I use Labview or HP Vee to control instruments and collect data and use Mathematica to analyze the data collected. But I don't use Mathematica to *collect* data.

Basically, I have a custom program written in either Labview or Vee to control the instruments and collect data. This program saves the data in an ASCII file which typically has a reading per instrument per line. I use a combination of Mathematica and a text editor to reformat the file in a bit more convienent form. Finally, I use Mathematica to plot and otherwise analyze the data.

Since I am not doing an analysis in real time, there is no issue with separating the data collection (Labview, Vee) from the data processing/analysis (Mathematica). For real time monitoring of the data as it is being collected, I use the plot routines avaliable in Labview or Vee.