Re: Urgent

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg58550] Re: Urgent
  • From: Roland Franzius <roland.franzius at>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 05:35:39 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Bruno Vicente wrote:
> I need help solving the Laplace equation in three dimensions using Mathematica. Due to the geometric configuration I used     oblate and prolate spheroidal coordinates.
> You can see the equations I'm using in:

Particular solutions are possible as series of products of exponentials
in phi, Legendre polynomials of the first L^m_n kind of cos theta and
the second kind Q^m_n of cosh eta, also expressible by spherical
harmonics Y_lm(cos theta) * Q^m_n (cosh eta).

Make a product ansatz

<< Calculus`VectorAnalysis`

SetCoordinates[OblateSpheroidal[theta, eta, phi, a]]

Laplacian[ F ]/F //
FullSimplify //

and separate the terms depending on one variable only. You have to solve
three eigenvalue ODE's and then you select the fourier sum over the
eigenvalue-indexed products to fit your boundary values.

Roland Franzius