Re: GraphEdit.m & JavaGraphics.m

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58607] Re: GraphEdit.m & JavaGraphics.m
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 05:12:22 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> What are the packages GraphEdit.m and JavaGraphics.m  that I find in the
> directory
>    ToFileName[{$InstallationDirectory,"SystemFiles","Graphics","Packages"}]
>
> of Mathematica 5.1?
>
> Are they part of the Mathematica 5.1 distribution?  Or from some 3rd
> party Add-on?
Hi Murray,

Both _GraphEdit.m_ and _JavaGraphics.m_ packages are part of Mathematica
standard installation.

_GraphEdit.m_ is said to "render graphics with V5 front end," and
contains two functions: *SetGraphics* and *ResetGraphics*. The usage
massages read, respectively:

"SetGraphics[type] sets the type of graphics cells generated by graphics
commands.  \"type\" may be \"SymbolicGraphics\", \"PostScript\", or
\"Compare\"", and

"ResetGraphics[] restores the display function used before the GraphEdit
package was loaded."

According to the *ReadMe.txt* file located in the packages directory:
"This directory contains files called by version-specific init.m files.
Most of them set up the correct mode for display of graphics on
different machines. [...] JavaGraphics.m         : send graphics to Java
window."

Best regards,
/J.M.