Re: Symbolic Constrained Maximization

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58862] Re: Symbolic Constrained Maximization
  • From: Selina <yedekaccount at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 03:08:10 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Mukhtar,

Thanks for the reply--I am confused about one thing in your approach: if I use Reduce by setting FOC equal to zero, how would this take care of corner solutions? For example, I need to solve for 4 variables, subject to non-negativity constraints, and another constraint. I know, from a couple of numerical examples I tried, that two of the variables will be zero (two of the non-negativity constraints will be binding) at the optimum. Doesn't this mean that if I try to set all the 4 first order conditions equal to zero using Reduce, I wouldn't get the optimum?

Thanks again.