Operating with binary numbers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59048] Operating with binary numbers
  • From: "Wishmaster" <wishmaster at imaginary.marreka.no-ip.com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 01:26:13 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I found that you can represent binary numbers in Mathematica with this:

 binary = 2^^110110101010111010
223930

And BaseForm[binary, 10] returns the number in decimal form
  223930

I'd like to know if is there some function to test if a given bit of the
binary number is on, and to do operations like "shifting" the binary number.
I looked at the help but can't find anything.

I use Mathematica 5.0 on Windows XP.

Thanks.
--
[]s Renan (aka Wishmaster) - Canoas, RS, Brazil
"Rumor has it that, when they shut down the IBM 7094 at MIT in 1973,