Operating with binary numbers
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg59048] Operating with binary numbers
- From: "Wishmaster" <wishmaster at imaginary.marreka.no-ip.com>
- Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 01:26:13 -0400 (EDT)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Hello, I found that you can represent binary numbers in Mathematica with this: binary = 2^^110110101010111010 223930 And BaseForm[binary, 10] returns the number in decimal form 223930 I'd like to know if is there some function to test if a given bit of the binary number is on, and to do operations like "shifting" the binary number. I looked at the help but can't find anything. I use Mathematica 5.0 on Windows XP. Thanks. -- s Renan (aka Wishmaster) - Canoas, RS, Brazil "Rumor has it that, when they shut down the IBM 7094 at MIT in 1973, they found a low-priority process that had been submitted in 1967 and had not yet been run. " -- From Silbershatz and Galvin, pp. 142-143.