Mathematica's CPU utilization

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59136] Mathematica's CPU utilization
  • From: The Phantom <phantom at aol.com>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 01:25:09 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

After installing the latest 5.2 rev on my Pentium 4 running Windows XP, I thought to have
a look at the CPU utilization.  While Mathematica was busy doing a long numerical
integration, and no other applications were running, I activated the task manager and was
surprised to see that the two main users of CPU time were the Mathematica kernel at 51%
and the system idle process at 48%.  Does anybody know if it's possible to get the kernel
up to something closer to 100% utilization?  Should I blame Mathematica or Windows XP?
wink, wink, nudge, nudge. ;-)