Re: spotlight escape sequences

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58069] Re: spotlight escape sequences
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 05:20:17 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 6/16/05 at 5:36 AM, ragfield at gmail.com (ragfield) wrote:

>The Wolfram Notebook Indexer plugin for Spotlight indexes the
>textual contents of notebook files.  Do you have reason to believe
>it is not working properly for you?  There's no way for Spotlight
>to show you the textual contents, but if you search for text you
>know to be in the contents Spotlight should find it.

My logic went as follows. First, reading information from various sources indicated SpotLight indexed metadata rather than file content. So, after installing the Notebook Indexer and letting SpotLight do its thing, I used mdls at the command line to see what metadata was indexed for a notebook. Since that didn't show anything that looked like content, I stopped there and *assumed* content wasn't indexed based on these results and what I read.

I knew PDF files were being indexed by content somehow. So, I assumed Apple was doing something special for PDF files and other files they work with extensively. I never bothered to try searching for notebooks based on content until I saw some additional messages posted here that indicated it should work.

Quite frankly, SpotLight is still rather new to me and I clearly have not completely figured out how to use it effectively.