Re: J/Link problem on Mac OS X

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg55235] Re: [mg55204] J/Link problem on Mac OS X
  • From: Igor Antonio <igora at>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 03:29:25 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Mike wrote:
> I've recently become aware that I cannot run J/link programs on my computer
> when using version 5.1 (OS X 10.3.8). I had yet to delete version 5.0 and
> that version seems to run all the examples in the J/Link help browser and
> GUI kit fine. Version 5.1 stalls (error messages) at the InstallJava[]
> stage.
> Has anyone else experienced this?
> Mike

The 10.3.8 security update introduced a bug that prevents JLink from
running.  This issue has been reported to Apple.

Symptoms: When running:

InstallJava[] will hang.  Mathematica doesn't crash, you can simply
abort evaluation of that cell.

In the meantime, please contact support at and request JLink
version 3.0.2, which contains a workaround to deal with the issue.  An
FAQ for this issue will be online in the near future at

Igor Antonio
Wolfram Research, Inc.

To email me personally, remove the dash.